Tuesday, February 21, 2012

#3: Put an end to my nomophobia

Nomophobia - a term for the now.  Unable to be without your cell phone.  God, years ago if you told me this would be a disorder, I'd have laughed in your face.  But we as a society have become way too vested in our cell phones.  We take them every where, feel naked without them, and use them all the time for everything.  

There is no such thing as boredom, ever.  Your phone can make calls, play games, check emails, text messages, surf the web, shave your legs, make you millions, and create world peace (okay, so I'm exaggerating a bit..).

But in all honesty too many of us are obsessed.  I am not so bad but it's bad enough.  The worse part about my phone is I'm able to work all the time.  I wake up and the first thing I do is check my emails.  I go to bed and the last thing I do is check my emails - in fact just talking about this makes me want to check my emails.

I'm putting an end to living my life hooked on technology by following a few basic steps:
  1. Family time will NOT be interrupted by my cell phone at any point/time unless of an emergency. It will remain away from me and muted.  I will not answer calls or check emails or play games during this time.  It is my time with my family - not technology.
  2. Work emails on my phone are no longer the first and last thing I do every day.  That will be replaced with something more worth my time.  Getting hugs/kisses from my daughter, cuddling with my husband, peeing for crying out loud!  All these things will take precedent over my phone fetish.
  3. And finally, last but not least, all those times when I'm waiting, in a car, or just doing nothing, I will not spend wasteful time on my phone. Maybe I will talk to someone instead, read a book, or just be bored.
Ladies and gentlemen, I'm going dark 4:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. every day.  Just three wee hours every work day with no technology.  I'm getting my life back and the good quality it used be before I became a workaholic nomophobe!

Wish me luck and I'll keep you posted...!

2 comments:

Therese said...

Good luck! I am sure Lyla will love it, Cecilia is always taking my phone away and making me feel bad about using it haha.

christina said...

Definitely good luck! It's something we both struggle with here, but it's so awesome when you can do it! When we go get in the car and I say "oh, I forgot my phone" typically alex's response is "Good!" and speeds off as fast as he can.

It's crazy to think how much things have changed in the last few years in that way!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...