Saturday, August 27, 2011

Earthquakes, Flooding, and Hurricanes, Oh My!

On Wednesday we had an earthquake.  No lie!

I've never felt an earthquake in my life and honestly I almost pissed my pants during the 20 second shake.  I had no idea what was going on but followed my coworkers out the door...

I was pissed mostly because I live in CT so I don't have to worry about earthquakes, hurricanes, etc.

Imagine my surprise when Hurricane Irene has decided to visit the CT shoreline.  I mean an earthquake, sheesh, but then a hurricane in the same week?!  WTF mother nature?  Again, I live in CT so this is not normal.

Last year a "hurricane" was expected and the hubby freaked out, bought a generator, and packed up the entire yard.   That one turned out to be a minor tropical storm.  So I have my doubts about this one as well. But I don't have to worry because the hubs is ready to go!

He spent the entire day packing up everything in our yard nicely into the garage.  He bought the necessary items and got the generator ready.  I was tasked with getting cash (you know, in case of no power or ATMs for weeks) and helping Jared with his list of things to do:  fill up on water (since we have a well and no power means no water), help move grill, have all laundry and dirty dishes done, etc.

But in the mean time, I have checked off all the things on my list for hurricane readiness:
  1. Took a shower and shaved.  If Jared gets his way and is right, we'll have no power for weeks and I don't want to be dirty or hairy for so long.  So clean and smooth, check! (for the time being at least)
  2. Best underwear on, check!  In case of an emergency, don't want to have on old, tattered or tye-dyed ones.
  3. Wearing a nice jammy set, check!  If I'm stuck on my roof waiting for a helicopter to rescue me from my flooded house, I will look nice for the nightly news broadcast.  Granted my nice jammies also are tye-dyed...
  4. My camera, cell phone, and laptop are fully charged in case it's my only escape to the outside world, check!
  5. Got my important documents ready to grab in a rush, check!  Birth certificate, marriage license, will, 20% off Babies R Us coupon, my BNL set list from that amazing concert way back when, and of course my official "you're excused from jury duty until 2014" letter.  Phew, thankfully those all will be saved!  Check!
  6. I have a bag packed with:  books for Lyla, Lyla's baby doll, diapers, wipes, some clothes for Lyla, her blanky, deodorant, clean underwear, and a few sets of earrings.  Not sure which will go with my "damsel in distress look best", so...  Check!
  7. Full tank of gas, check!  So if need power for my phone to send a few emails, and vote for my kid on the Parents.com cute kid contest daily!
  8. Champagne chilled and ready to guzzle, check!  Cause if I have a hurricane heading my way, may as well have some fun as well!

Anyways, I hope you're all doing well with your hurricane checklists and let's hope I'm right and it's nothing serious at all!

Time to open the cham-pag-ney.



All tubs filled up with water and all water bottles set!




Our garage is stuffed with our outdoor stuff...


So neat might I add...



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...