Tuesday, August 18, 2009

When I was a kid...

Today's blog post is a writing exercise from Cafe Writing.

Option One: Timed Writing

Take eleven minutes (use all eleven, but don’t go over), and write on the subject of when you were a kid.This is a timed exercise and it’s expected that it won’t be perfect. Any format – fiction, essay, verse – is welcome.

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~

When I was a kid life was simple, days were long, time went fast. I played house and school with my cousins. I banged scrap wood with a hammer around my uncle and dad’s construction sites. I got very excited to go to McDonald’s as it was a special treat.

When I was a kid, I didn’t worry. I must say that again. When I was a kid, I had no worries. I would crawl in to my parent’s bed if I got scared and I cried if I got hurt. But worrying didn’t plague me until I got older and middle school.

When I was a kid, I was on my own for five years. I had no siblings but only a slew of cousins to keep me occupied. I felt like I was a princess and I was surrounded by love.

When I was a kid we ate macaroni and cheese for lunch every day because times were tough. I could still eat macaroni and cheese every day for lunch. I loved it then and love it now.

When I was a kid, I wanted to be all different things when I grew up. Some days it was a teacher, some days it was a doctor and other days I wanted to be like my mom; another mom who adores her children.

When I was a kid, I loved the ocean until I stepped on a crab and he bit me. From then on and still now I’m terrified of walking in the ocean but only swim to my heart’s content.

When I was a kid I used to do pageants and sing in front of large audiences. I loved to be on stage and the center of attention. Sometimes I even won big trophies for my efforts.

When I was a kid I wasn’t aware of the heart ache all around me. I had no concept of being in tough times or understanding of adult problems. I lived a care free life as most kids do.

When I was a kid, I loved to go to birthday parties, go swimming, and play all kinds of sports. I was always annoyed with my little brother and sister. I was made to wear matching outfits with them for photos. I rebelled eventually and stayed in my room for all hours of the day.

When I was a kid, I was happy with my life. I was unscathed from the pressures of society and the duty of responsibilities. I woke up each morning excited for what fun things arrive that day.


When I was a kid, everyone was my best friend. I was a chatter box talking all the time. I got in trouble at school because I would not shut up but I still got good grades.

When I was a kid, I loved to dance, play soccer, softball, basketball, and go out with cute boys. Of course I was never allowed to “date” until 16 but liking boys was fun.

When I was a kid, life was good.

1 comment:

Cafe Writing Barista said...

So sorry I'm so late with visiting your site. Love this entry, and thank you for taking the time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...