Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Questionnaire of a Book Nerd

So I'm bringing out the book nerd in me after seeing this on Sumit's blog - thanks for letting me steal your questionnaire!

I do call myself a book nerd only because I really am. I read anything and everything. I have 5-6 books going at the same time. I carry a book in my purse, a few at my bedside, there is one in my office, and if you get in my car, there is a 99% chance I have an audio book on CD I'm listening too as well. I usually go through 2-3 books a week and that is a good week. The reason I have for reading is because I love being taken out of my real life. I have a never ending brain - it does not sleep. I will think 24/7 if I allow myself too. I've tried meditation, yoga, breathing exercises, you name it; but nothing works but reading. If I'm reading my to do lists in my head, the worrying, or just random thoughts are kept at bay and that is the best feeling in the world for me. I am able to relax, jump into another world, someone elses life, and be free of my own thoughts. Not only that but I get to enjoy other author's beautiful words. There is nothing nicer than reading the sweet description of a beautiful day or a fearsome car chase.
So without further ado...

What author do you own the most books by? I'm embarrassed but this would be Danielle Steel. BUT I have a good reason... When I was a teen, my aunt gave me the book Kaleidoscope. It was an amazing book about three sisters and I loved it. I started reading all of her books and it became my mission to read every single one. The earlier Danielle Steel books are amazing. The ones about World War II, the European refugees, etc. Steel was so good at making a great story. I collected the books and read every single on of her 70 or so novels. However nowadays her books have not been so good; actually I'm sorry to say they are painful. Needless to say I do not collect them anymore but I do have to read them - just so I know I have read every book ever written by here - horrible or not.

What fictional character are you secretly in love with? Oh this would definitely be Mr. Darcy for sure. Who wouldn't love a rich man who puts others before himself and prevails despite all! Bring it on, Mr. D!

What book have you read the most times in your life? That would be, Are You There God, It's Me Margaret.

What was your favorite book when you were ten years old? again, that would be Are You There God, It's Me Margaret.

What is the worst book you’ve read in the past year? Oh, that's easy! I love Sandra Brown murder mysteries but unbeknown to myself she does steamy, love stories too. Can I just tell you how much I HATE steamy, sexy romance books? They skeeve me out totally. Danielle Steel's books are not like this - just so you know. But I picked up a Sandra Brown book thinking it was a murder mystery, not so much. It was called Temperatures Rising, so I should have known right there. But I got started and just had to finish. I spent the whole book rolling my eyes, waiting for the sexual tension to end and for the sex to just happen already...gag me...

What is the best book you’ve read in the past year? That is impossible because I have probably had the best books read year ever, so they will include: A Thousand Splendid Suns, The Pillars of the Earth, Emma, and Pride and Prejudice.

What book would you most like to see made into a movie? Pillars for sure - but I know they would murder it. I heard they are doing a mini series so hopefully that will be good!

What is the most difficult book you’ve ever read? East of Eden. That was a tough one but I got through it.

Shakespeare, Milton, or Chaucer? Chaucer for sure.

Austen or Eliot? Austen of course.

What is the biggest or most embarrassing gap in your reading? It's probably most embarrassing that I don't have one!

What is your favorite novel? I refuse to answer this question! Too many! But then again, I'm a horrible critic and everything I think is the best ever! No but really, here is a short list of favorites:
The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett
A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
Any Jane Austen book
A Bend in the Road - Nicholas Sparks
Can You Keep a Secret? - Sophie Kinsella
Into Thin Air - John Krakaur

Work of non-fiction? Into Thin Air and David Sedaris' books

Who is your favorite writer? Again, too many! I love the chick lit authors like Sophie Kinsella, Marian Keyes, Jane Green, Nora Roberts, Meg Cabot - their books are so fun. I also love Nicholas Sparks, James Patterson, Sandra Brown, Janet Evanovich, Dan Brown, John Grisham and I could go on for days...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...