Thursday, March 05, 2009

Wish list of 28

28 years and what have I learned. Ha! If only I knew. I feel as if my life has not begun or is almost over or I’m not sure. I’m in limbo and there are too many things left for me to do with my life. I hate having birthdays and getting older. My body goes on strike for the whole week and I get severe anxiety complete with stomach pains. I can’t decide if I am afraid of getting older or if I am afraid of not being young anymore and the reality of growing up is hitting me.

This morning I got in my car and with a lack of a book on CD for the first time in months, I spontaneously put on the radio. A song was just beginning and it was Beautiful Day by U2. A great way to start my birthday, I decided. I’m going to try my best to embrace my 28th year on earth and write up my wish list of 28 things I want to do before I turn 29. I am always so focused on helping other people and doing things for others. So this list is just for me.

  1. Finish my book. It may be an awful first novel attempt but it deserves to be completely finished. I want to finish it.
  2. Research and get some good head way in to the second book I started. This one is the best I’ve got and I need it to meet its potential. It deserves time and energy.
  3. I want to read all of Jane Austen. I have yet to go through all her books and this year seems like a good year to do it. UPDATE: 4 down, 1 to go!
  4. I want to lose 10 pounds. That’s all. I have no desire to be a stick figure but I want to be fit and I have been trying my best to get there. UPDATE: Lost 5 but then I ate a donut...
  5. I want to improve my marriage. Marriage is not easy and it requires hard work. I need to be more patient and understanding as well as less stubborn and nagging.
  6. I want to go to the beach more often. I live right there so it’s no excuse to not be there at least once a week.
  7. I want to hang out with my sister more. I barely get to see her and she is getting older too and needs her sister more than she thinks as she gets through college and starts focusing on her future.
  8. Learn how to use Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. I have fooled around a bit on my own so I know the basics but I want to really know how. Hopefully Jared can teach me.
  9. Learn the bass guitar, finally! I have been begging Jared to get me a bass guitar because I love the bass. I am going to find my own used, bass guitar and either teach myself or pay some grungy teen to teach me. Then I’m going to be a star!
  10. While we’re on instruments. I am getting a hand drum as well! And then I’ll be jamming to Rusted Root songs.
  11. I want to walk more. I’ve been walking almost every lunch break at work so I want to keep that up. It is a nice way to get out during the day and keep fit. UPDATE: Working on it.
  12. I want to keep up with Zumba throughout the year since I am completely smitten. UPDATE: like this is impossible to acheive. I'm up to 4 times a week!
  13. I have a side project I have been working on that I can not really get into detail about but I really want it to flourish a bit more this year and I’m hoping that works out!
  14. My sister is turning 21 this year so one my goals is to go to the bar with my sister and my brother and get drinks together for the first time. It will be fun! UPDATE: This was fun!
  15. I want to bake more. I like to bake and sometimes I’m not too bad at it. I think if I bake more I’ll get even better and the next time I make a lemon meringue pie it won’t have to be thrown out!
  16. I really want to go to an island this year. It is so easy for me, location-wise to hop on a ferry to Martha’s Vineyard or Nantucket. I really want to go to one of them for the day just to hang out and see what they are like since I’ve never been. I don’t know why that is…
  17. I want to get a new car. Not brand new but just something else to drive other than Rocky. It’s been an ongoing battle with Jared and me about what car so I think within the year I think we should be able to pick one. Driving a gas guzzling SUV all the time is not good for the environment. UPDATE: Got it!
  18. I want to watch all of Sex and City seasons 1-6 again in order and then the movie. Just because I love that freaking show so much.
  19. I want to go through our basement and finally eBay or tag sale all the useless things that we are pack-ratting like crazy.
  20. I want to finish our living room and add that book shelf I’ve always wanted (if funds allow…)
  21. I need to get myself organized. I mean for real. Mentally and literally. I need to get all my shit together and my life on track. I feel like I am all over the place sometimes never having the time to do this or that. I need to be better balanced and organized so I can make time for writing, my husband, and most importantly myself.
  22. I need to get stronger. I am such a wuss! I am so sensitive, such a baby, etc. I need to be harder in certain situations especially when it comes to work and life challenges. This may take more than a year but I must work on it…
  23. Financially I want to manage our money better. We have the capability to save more so I want us to do that.
  24. I want to make a list. A bucket list per se but not exactly, for me and Jared to accomplish together before death or to do during retirement. I have always wanted to do this but am afraid it will be too long and intimidating. There a million places I want to travel to so that could be a problem…
  25. I want to be less lazy. Sometimes I find myself being really lazy in the most ridiculous cases. This needs to cease immediately!
  26. I am taking golf lessons right now so this year before I’m 29, I want to play an entire golf game with my dad. I can’t bring my sister though because she has an arm and foot thing (inside joke). I think it will be fun for us and I’ll probably whoop him!
  27. I want to start a new tradition in my family. I am not sure what it will be yet or when but I want one. Maybe something fun for our birthdays or for Easter or Thanksgiving. But we need something new and fresh. I’ll have to ask my brother because he’s always got crazy ideas.
  28. I want to be more selfish. I know, how selfish of me. But in all honesty, I have had a hard time my whole life being too selfless and putting other’s needs before my own. This also follows with me getting walked over, used and abused, and getting hurt. I will always be there for anyone who needs it and help people out but at the same time I need start watching out for myself first and foremost. UPDATE: Working on this..

There you have it. 28 things I need to work on or complete before 1 year, 12 months, 52 weeks, 365 days from now. I am very nervous at the new to-do list as I am the to-do list queen. But I have faith in myself that if I put my mind to it I can do it! Happy birthday to me.

1 comment:

floreta said...

this is funny because i want to be more selfless having been too selfish. :D (note that i start right away by talking about me..) growing up is hard. i still don't feel like an adult..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...