Monday, May 26, 2008

The Ford Farm

What a beautiful weekend! We could not have asked for a better one. The sky is super blue. The blue that stings your eyes because it's so blue as far as the eye can see. There were a few clouds dotting the super blue sky here and there and it was overall gorgeous. The sun was shining and at one point heated up to over 80 degrees.

Jared and I spent most of the weekend working on the Ford Farm or in the house. On Saturday we went to seek out our ever so special hanging baskets for the back. It only took 3 nurseries, 10 questions, 1 temper tantrum (Jared of course) and 5 baskets later, voila! We have the most gorgeous petunias. We also got on basket for the shade that is called a fuchsia.
Our house is becoming a farm and my husband is turning into a farmer. Honestly. Between our orchards: blueberries, raspberries, plums, peaches, cherries, apples, and pears. He's also planted an entire herb garden and tons of vegetables. If you're interested, please, I beg you to come help us pick all this stuff!

We also worked a bit more on the side garden today to clear it out and get it ready for tilling and for Jared to plant grass. There is this big empty area that has just been full of weeds. Now we'll plant some grass until we can afford to do it up like an English garden. Jared has all these high hopes and dreams for it. All I keep thinking is how my garden is making me poor. Every plant or bag of peat moss (aka shit), is one less purse or pair of shoes I can buy. The good thing is our gardens look beautiful. Too bad we have no friends that will come over and enjoy it with us. That's the down side of living in the middle of nowhere. No one wants to drive down to us. And with gas prices on the rise, we can bet it won't be changing any time soon.


Here are our petunias before we gave them a prettier home.


Here are our petunias now! So beautiful!



This is a fuchsia. It's so elegant and gorgeous.



Here is one of vegetable patches and that is lettuce growing.


Here is hard working Jared tilling the ground for some new improved grass to come. He's never to happy with me when I'm taking his picture of him working his butt off in the sun while I'm bouncing around doing nothing but capturing this wonderful moment on film.


The ground almost totally tilled, ready for some soft green grass.



In my previous post I was making fun of Jared and men in particular about their obsession with their lawn. Can you tell my hubby is a perfectionist? It's really gorgeous though. I love it!

The fruit trees are growing. I can't wait to get some goods!



One final edition made this weekend was a hummingbird feeder. We saw them all over last summer so this summer we've decided to feed them. Hopefully they come! I haven't seen one yet. Oh and funny story, that nectar, red stuff in there... yeah I filled it up and of course the klutz that I am, I managed to spill it all over me, the garage bench and floor. It was fun...

Smudge loves to hang out with us when we're outside. She just lounges in the shade as we work. As we move, so does she. It's so cute. Here she is checking out her reflection in the pool. Don't jump!

And here is Sooty. He can't go outside yet so he just sits inside the screen door whining and crying. Poor thing.

1 comment:

Maureen Girard said...

I saw my first hummingbird on Sunday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...