Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Compliments vs. Insults

There is a fine line between a compliment and an insult.

This morning I woke up and got dressed like I do every day. Now, at my office casual attire is appreciated. Jeans are favored over high heels. We really like that office policy. I decided I’d wear my navy blue cargo pants, a white shirt with a blue pattern and my jean jacket. I did my hair (well blew dry it, and shook it around in a shag look) and kicked on my Pumas. I was ready for the day.

A lot of people are jealous that I can go to work in this manner but honestly I think nothing of it. I’ve been at my job for two years now and wearing flip flops and jeans has become second nature to me. Long gone are those nice slacks and crisp shirts. On the other side, I don’t look very professional. This is not a big deal since I don’t meet with clients in my office and if I ever did, obviously I’d rethink my wardrobe that day.

So anyway, I’m about to grab my stuff and head out and I see a truck pull up our driveway. It’s the irrigation system guy. The doorbell rings and I pleasantly go over and answer with a friendly “Hello”.

His immediate reply was (and I kid you not), “Hi there. Is your dad home? Or, ahh...” After my shocked look he started stumbling.

I said, “You mean my husband?”

I looked awkwardly over at him grinning and I could tell he was super embarrassed. “Sorry,” he grumbled.

“It’s fine”, I said, “I don’t really look that grown up.” After he went to move his truck so I could get out, I went to find Jared and said the man was looking for my dad. He thought it was hilarious of course.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I know I looked like a teenager with my tousled hair, my cargo pants and kicks. How was he supposed to know? Should I be flattered that someone actually thinks I look too young to own a home? Or should I be offended? Not sure but I really thought it was funny.

Honestly, 9 times out of ten, I get carded for scratch tickets. Scratch tickets! I automatically give my ID whenever I’m getting alcohol. I think I was 23 when I got carded for buying the Sex and the City seasons on DVD at Wal Mart!

So I guessed I’ve learned a few things today. I don’t look old, hooray! The other thing is, I look too young.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...