Tuesday, March 05, 2013

31 Things I've Learned in 31 Years

(Well I started this in September 2012.   Just added a few more in October 2012.  Added a few more November 2012.  Adding more now January 2013. And finally finished March 2013.)

On my 32nd birthday, today, I have decided I must finish this post. Finally. Enjoy...

Over at one of my new favorite blogs, they are all doing this exercise and I really wanted to add my two cents... Let's see how long this takes me to write!

31 Things I've Learned in 31 Years

32 Things I've Learned in 32 Years
  1. Nothing ever turns out the way you planned. You can plan 100% of everything but get ready to be disappointed.
  2. Judge a book by it's cover, literally.  In the end, you'll be more surprised with the outcome because you didn't what it was about!
  3. There is no such thing as true love until you've become a mother.
  4. No matter what you're going through, always remember someone out there has it worse off.  It could be worse.
  5. Be grateful for the little things like running water, an abundance of food, shelter, and people in your life making things all the more easier.
  6. Marriage is hard!  You both have to work at it and it can't be one sided.
  7. No matter how many romantic comedies you watch or chick lit novels you read, your life will never be like that.  This one is hard to swallow ladies but if you think John Cusack will be outside your window some day with a boombox blasting Peter Gabriel, think again...
  8. When all else fails, have some chocolate.
  9. Nobody can get anywhere without rolling up their sleeves and committing to some hard work.  
  10. Enjoy life in the now and don't say "I can't wait until..." because that moment will come all too fast and go by even faster.
  11. Take some me time, every day.  Even if it's only for 5 minutes!
  12. Be spontaneous.
  13. Don't get upset over the little things like spilled milk and broken glasses.  They are only things.
  14. Do stupid stuff every once in a while. It will be fun, I promise.
  15. Never, ever, ever change who you are for someone else.
  16. There is always a light at the end of the tunnel, even if you think your tunnel is never ending and too dark.
  17. They are your feelings and don't listen to someone if they say don't worry, or it's stupid.  Your feelings always count.
  18. Working from home rocks.  Seriously, it rocks.
  19. Age is just a number.  You're only as old as you feel.  And no matter how depressed you get for being older and growing up (well do we really ever grow up?) and life going by too fast, just remember it could be worse. You could be dead!
  20. If you have troubles, nothing can take them away better than reading a good book.  A little bit of fiction is a great escape!
  21. You will do some of the same things your parents did.  Try not to.  I dare you! (Trust me. I never thought in a million years I'd be saying, "That's right on a Saturday night!" like my dad always says.  Damn, I can't escape it!)
  22. True friends are hard to fine.  And friendship is a two way thing.  One person can't do all the work.
  23. Playing with a child and using your imagination is so amazingly rewarding.  We must all do this more often.
  24. Don't stress about weather! You can't control it.  So what if it's torrential down pour on your wedding day.  So what if there is a hurricane and it cancels your event.  There is nothing you can do and stressing just makes it worse! (Okay so I need to listen to this myself...)
  25. Food is awesome so don't limit yourself because of calories!
  26. Family is just that, family; no matter what.
  27. A good cry is necessary every once in a while. Try it while sitting on the bathroom floor or in an empty tub for superior results.
  28. Sing loud and often wherever you are. Singing is so gratifying even if you have a terrible voice.
  29. Being nice all the time is not all it's cracked up to be. People will walk all over you and take advantage of you. Sometimes people suck ass.
  30. Close your eyes when you're listening to good music. It will sound even better and it's invigorating. 
  31. The beach is more fun and calming in the winter so grab you hat, gloves, and coat and take a walk by the waves during a snowfall.
  32. Smile. Really, smile. So many people have blank faces or frowns all day long. Having a smile on your face puts you in a good mood and will make others happier around you... If you just smile...

I can't believe how long this post took me to write.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...