Monday, March 28, 2011

It was all quiet throughout the house and then...

Last night at 1:30 a.m. our ADT alarm went off.  I jumped up in my bed at the sound, very loud, annoying sound, and ran without a thought to turn off the alarm before it woke Lyla.  This was of course incredibly stupid as A. there could have been an intruder in our home and B. I didn't have a baseball bat. 

I got to the panel in the hall and noticed it said fire alarm. I quickly hushed the sound and started shaking wondering if my house was really on fire.  Jared was yelling from the bedroom wondering what was up and finally he hobbled over to check it out.  Oh, he says, it's a false alarm.  What!  I was freaking out nervous that there was something wrong.  He said the alarm was faulty, clearly.  I couldn't understand.  So if the alarm is faulty, then maybe it's not a fire and there is an intruder.  I begged Jared to go downstairs and check but he said all is fine.

To make matter worse, our phone number is not working.  We recently switched to At&t and in doing so, we wanted to keep our home number.  But in order to do that, it takes a week - a whole load of bulsh - but whatever.  So ADT couldn't get a hold of us to confirm things were okay so they next rang Jared's cell phone.  He insisted things were fine and to make sure the fire department did not show up.  I insisted Jared go down stairs and he did but things were okay.  Meanwhile, Lyla is sleeping through all of this.  No sound from her whatsoever.

Five minutes later we hear a loud noise and sure enough it's the gigantic fire truck complete with lights flashing.  We have a long skinny driveway which they couldn't maneuver so I yelled to Jared to grab his slippers and stop them. Jared was pacing so embarrassed.  He ran outside finally and had to explain to the fireman walking up our drive and the fire chief who also arrived that it was a false alarm and how sorry he was.  About ten minutes later, the truck left and the neighborhood was quiet and dark again.  Jared and I were in bed laughing at the ridiculousness of the situation.  He called ADT again asking them to have a tech come out asap to fix the alarm.  

We couldn't go back to sleep so we giggled and thought up ideas of ways to bribe the fire station so they wouldn't think we always cry wolf and never save us if it was real.  I thought bringing beer over was inappropriate  but we'll figure out something.  Needless to say we're both exhausted today but grateful we have a baby who sleeps like a log.

Today I'm going to buy a baseball bat to keep under my bed just in case...

And expect a few calls from neighbors...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...