Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Count Your Blessings Wednesday

Today I'm grateful for food. Sometimes we forgot as we are stuffing our faces with the latest and greatest meal that some people in this world are starving (even though we joke "there are people starving all over the world so finish your food") but it's really true. In Haiti, they are eating mud cookies to survive. This is not a joke, mud cookies are made entirely of mud, water, and shortening. When I first read about this a few months ago, it tore my heart out and I wanted to immediately start shipping something, anything down there. But what good would it do for me to ship a little thing down there. My problem with charity is that if I can't help entirely and solve a problem then I'm just making matters worse.

I won't even get started about clean water and how lucky I am to have clean water at my house every day whereas some people just don't. So without further ado the ten things I'm grateful for today...
  1. I am grateful for my clean, delicious well water. It is so fresh and good I take it everywhere I go in my handy, dandy water bottles. That way I'm not adding to the plastic container waste in this world and I'm keeping an eye on my wallet by not buying water. Plus my water is so good, I'd rather drink it. I even bring my water bottle to my parents house because I prefer it to their Poland Spring.
  2. I am grateful for tea. I love love love tea. These last few years it's been all about tea leaves that I just drop in the boiling water and drink fresh. I love jasmine tea and white tea leaves. It's so good for you and so refreshing.
  3. I'm grateful for cereal. Boy do I love me a bowl of cereal; especially of the Cheerios or Berry Berry Kix variety. Sometimes I eat it for breakfast and sometimes for dinner and sometimes for both. And if you'll excuse me all this talk about cereal has made me want some...I'll be back.
  4. Back. I'm grateful for pizza. Whoever decided that dough, sauce, cheese, seasonings, and other items would taste good together, they are are a God or should be sainted at least. Might I also add that Hawaiian pizza is the smack daddy of all pizza!
  5. I'm grateful for cottage cheese with pineapple. Random, I know, but seriously that is good stuff!
  6. I'm grateful for Chewy granola bars. Seriously I love these things. I have one every morning at 10 a.m. as my mid morning snack. I only do chocolate chunk or s'mores variety and they are the best!
  7. I'm grateful for chocolate. Chocolate is amazing. Chocolate milk, hot chocolate, chocolate bar, chocolate dessert, and I could keep on forever. I especially love those chocolate lava cakes that you bite into and then the hot fudge comes flowing out. Oh wow, totally want me one of those right now!
  8. I am grateful for pasta of all varieties; especially mac n' cheese as it's my favorite. Over the winter Jared made me a home made mac n' cheese that was to-die-for. I couldn't get enough of it and then felt completely ill the next day...
  9. I am grateful for my fruit smoothies. I love them in the mornings. Today's was full of raspberries, strawberries, and a banana. I even took a photo (below) because it was so pretty and color coordinated!
  10. I'm grateful for my husband. I know he's not a food but he's actually a fantastic chef. He's not a professional but he should be. All the food he makes is amazing and I've not been disappointed once (okay there was this one time with a new green chicken recipe that I couldn't eat...). The next season of The Next Food Network Star is accepting applications now and I totally am trying to get him to apply because I know he'd be fabulous at it. So if you know Jared and are reading this, tell him to enter!

Okay that was a very high level gratefulness of food list as there are a million things I love to eat and drink. I'm grateful for each and every one of them. I'm grateful that we have supermarkets and farmer's markets to get them at. I'm grateful we have a great butcher in town and fish monger. We are lucky that we can easily eat whatever we want whenever we want.

2 comments:

Sarah Von Bargen said...

I am 100% with you on the cereal and pasta! Well, I'm grateful for any form of carb really. :)

Michelle Schraudner said...

I'm grateful for hot chocolate. There aren't words to say how much I love it. It's a bit ridiculous, actually.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...