Friday, April 03, 2009

Emma

In an attempt to start reaching some of my goals this year, I borrowed Jane Austen's Emma from the library, the audio version. I was very excited to start this book. At first it was a bit difficult to get into because the old man's thick British drawl was a lot to concentrate on. Especially with all the "beg your pardon" and "much obliged" and "very well then". But once I got into the story, I loved it.

Emma is such an amazing character and I liked her from the get go. She is opinionated, classy, and only gets what she wants. From the very beginning, I thought to myself, here is the perfect Mr. Knightly hanging out with you ever day, Emma, why are you not marrying him! But Emma being Emma was always too concerned with playing with other people's lives and taking care of her father. The dear Mr. Knightly was such a handsome character that by the end of the book, I would have married him! All in all, it was very enjoyable and I find myself saying the oddest phrases after listening to Jane Austen prose for a week!

The thing I find so amusing is that back in those days, people were too polite. No one ever spoke their mind because it was not becoming. A marriage proposal was a business arrangement and seemed to lack all the romance and feeling we have today. Almost every chapter I wanted to scream at the people to talk about the pink elephant in the room and tell the lovely Miss Bates aka the chatterbox to shut up already!

I was sad to put Emma to rest last night and start my new book on CD. But I'm looking forward to my next book. I'm not sure if what to pick but I think I want to chose Persuasion. I guess we shall see!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...