Friday, August 08, 2008

The Law

If I did not write about my day right now, I would forget all about how I'm really feeling about it.

This morning at work, I had a special meeting with the FBI. No joke. I'd rather not go into the ins and outs of the meeting but it was just a casual status check for something. I saw the badge and everything. It was a bit like in the movies for a second but was not that glamorous. After we chatted, I was much relieved as to my clear status with the Bureau. Not that it was in question, but you don't get asked to meet with an agent every day...

I left work early to come home for the rest of the day and work at my home office as I usually do on Fridays. I was grooving to the music and planning the rest of my day when I noticed a State Trooper behind me in the fast lane. I didn't panic because I was only going 70 in a 65 zone. There were a few slow cars in the other lane so I figured I'd not panic just yet and make my move over once I got past the second one.

Well as soon as I got past the second one, the lights went on behind me. Son of a monkey's uncle!! I had not done anything wrong and after a morning with the FBI did not want to meet any other law enforcement agents.

He took a while to get out of his car so I got a bit worried. He came over and asked me for my info. I asked him what the problem was because I knew I had done nothing wrong. He was a little taken aback that I did not know. He said I was not properly passing in the left lane. WTF! My interpretation #1: Coppie wanted to go faster and could not justify putting on his lights to make me go over and his impatience with my slow driving and unwillingness to pass cars quick enough warranted me to get pulled over. My interpretation #2: This guy was a major prick with nothing else better to do!

I tried to explain myself but then started to get sensitive. He asked me where I was going and where from. He asked me what I did for a living. I was starting to worry. Then he said I was driving an unregistered car. WTF moment #2! At this point gigantic tears started to well up under my gigantic Hepburn sunglasses. I immediately disagreed saying that was impossible. We're so good about stuff like that; there is no way. He tells me his computer does not lie. So he goes back into his pen to oink it out a bit while I wait there with sniffles and hysterics settling in.

When he comes back, he says that it is indeed not registered and it's over a year expired! Then the flood comes. He says he should tow it because I'm not allowed to drive it but says he'll be nice. Instead he tells me to take the next exit and go to the commuter lot where I can call someone to pick me up and get my car towed home; but it was up to me if I wanted to drive it home unregistered with that kind of risk.

I said to him through thick gasps of breath how I'd been pulled over for speeding a month ago in Rhode Island (I was going 35 in a 25! WTF #3, but I'm over it). That day I could not find my registration and that cop looked it up and said I was fine. Mr. Having A Bad Day Cop said he did not care and his system was right and I was driving illegally. He say (and I quote), "Drive down to the parking lot and figure it out. Calm down, you're a grown up. You can handle it. Call someone to come get you because you should not be driving this car." And then the crying started. I basically tried to shoo him away from me so I could break down properly. He gave me a $95 ticket for an expired registration and waved me on my way. Not mentioning again his lame ass excuse for pulling me over in the first place!

I took his advice and drove to the commuter lot where, of course, there was a cop sitting in. I called Jared frantically for advice however, he was not available. Of all freaking days... Jared is reachable every day at work. But today, of all days, he was filming on the CT river and could not answer the phone. Yup, you guessed it, WTF moment #4! I called my mom and dad who were on their way to my house coincidentally on their way to vacation in Rhode Island. My mom just told me to carefully drive home and call DMV when I got there. I waited for the cop in the lot to leave fearing espionage and then made my way slowly and safely home, praying the entire way that I would not get into an accident.

As soon as I got home, I called DMV. They confirmed it. My registration had been expired for over a year! I guess since we had moved, they never sent us a notice that told us it had expired. Why would I ever check that?! So here I am now spending my Friday afternoon at the DMV.

At the DMV and the line is not too bad for once. I get to the counter after 20 minutes or so and am so grateful thinking they can take care of me there and I don't have to take a number and sit for a few hours. She's about to do it when she notices my registration has been expired for over a year. Sorry, she tells me but I'm going to have to wait since they need to issue new plates! #5 WTF

After 90 minutes, my number is called. Where is your insurance for the vehicle (it's the same woman). I give her the Gieco slip. Well, it turns out the new cards Jared left on my desk are not for the Mazda. They are for the Infiniti. SO I can't get the temporary plates without proof of insurance for the Mazda. The DMV closes in ten minutes and the woman tells me if I can get it faxed over right then she can process it for me.

Jared is at home, he faxes the sheet and confirms it goes through. Ten minutes later, the same woman, sorry I didn't get the fax. You'll have to come back tomorrow. #6 WTF, #7 WTF, #8 WTF. I get to the parking lot after being in there almost two hours and look up at the sky asking who despised me so much today.

I cried the whole way home assuming I'd get pulled over again for something ridiculous since it'd been one of those days. I can't wait to go back to the DMV again tomorrow.

I had a rough day to say the least. I know, I know, perspective. I'm not dying, nor am I ill but it was a rough day. Especially after not sleeping for the past few nights, all this crying has given me a huge head ache. Poor Jessie...

1 comment:

Maureen Girard said...

Oh my....my dad would have said, "Well, Moj, I hate to say it. It's just your turn." I will say though, I think the DMV should issue you any of the following plates: jdf.wtf, dmv.wtf, wtf.wtf or omg.wtf! and you can park next to me at work. Just look for the jeep with xxxwtf!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...