Friday, June 18, 2021

Simple Night with Friendly Reminders

Last night I dropped my kids at their grandmother's house for a sleepover. Summer has begun and with two busy work days, I wanted them to have some fun rather than being bored in our "currently under construction" home.

As I drove home, free and relieved my kids were going to have some fun, I was looking forward to catching up with an old friend and seeing a movie with her.

My husband and I met our friend at happy hour at our local pub. We ate and laughed and ate and drank and talked and talked.

Once we got home, we talked some more, a lot actually. Usually it's just me and my friend but tonight my husband had tagged along and I watched as the two of them chatted with ease in our kitchen. Both of them so incredibly different yet so very similar. There were moments of calm, moments of laughter, moments of tears, and moments of pure honesty and I just sat back and watched for the most part.

It was a solid 30 minutes of us standing in around the counter discussing life and how messy it can be. My husband is such a logical man and he sometimes lacks the ability to grasp things that aren't defined in a way he's used to. My friend the opposite, who is probably one of the happiest people I know in a true and genuine way, tried to enlighten him.

No one was angry and no one was unkind. We were just honest and open. As I sat there spectating this enlightening conversation, I couldn't help but learn so much about people especially about those close to me. I've been married to my husband for more than 16 years and we have the most less than perfect marriage imaginable. But for some reason, which we laugh about often, we are fiercely loyal to one another and always find a way to work things out. I sometimes feel my purpose in life is to be with this man through the thick and thin because he needs me and I need him.

Watching him talk with my friend last night made me learn and remember how much I do love him. He has such a kind heart and even though his exterior may seem rough to some, he truly cares about those in his circle. I knew this but to see it in this light with my dear friend was so heartwarming, I was reminded again why he is a good soul and I'm grateful to have him.

We watched our movie which my husband orchestrated for us in our new home with his new system making sure we had everything we needed and it was a beautiful experience. Then we said our goodbyes. 

I couldn't fall asleep right away as I was overstimulated by our night so as I scrolled through social media willing sleep, I came across this meme that really hit me. Don't laugh (haha!):

Me: I don't care what people think.

Also me: Moves slightly over when driving behind a slow car so the car behind me knows it's not me who is going slow.

I read that and laughed and laughed. Because at that exact moment, I knew I was not unique at all. I totally do that. No matter what odd or random things we do, there is someone else out there that does the same thing. Guess what? It's okay to not be unique. It's okay to just be who you are regardless of what others are.

I kept thinking about this as I tossed and turned - we are all so very different yet we are all so very much the same. My friend lives her life in a different way than me and she's content and settled. We live our life a completely different way and while I'm not always happy or settled, it's who I am for now. It's okay to be different and it's okay to be similar.

No matter how old you get, we are always learning and growing. I was so content after my evening and I woke up with a whole outlook - life isn't perfect at all. It's messy and complicated. It's fun and it's stressful. Above all it's a blessing and this friendly reminder to live life to it's fullest and have no regrets was what I needed.

My life is busy and sometimes I forget the true meaning. My new house is a disaster - who cares, patience. My kids, the loves my life, can drive me crazy - oh well, don't sweat the small stuff. My husband can be a real jerk - so what, he's there for us and he truly cares at the end of the day.

A simple night with lessons learned and friendly reminders. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...