Friday, July 17, 2009

Someone save my life tonight...

Today I've managed to lock myself out of the house. I thought I had unlocked the handle but apparently not. So when I came back from bringing in the trash and recycle bins, I was on the outside and my keys, phone, and toilet were on the inside in the air conditioning.

I went next door to the neighbors and used his phone to call Jared who was none but thrilled to drive all the way home to let me in the house. I spent my hour waiting sitting by the pool, doing a few chores, reading the mail, and walking by the blueberry bushes with a giant snake entangled in the netting. Insert me screaming out of fright!

The snaked looked dead all wrapped in the netting so I left him and went to wait for Jared. I figured I'd tell him when he came home later tonight to cut the poor deceased snake out. I then decided I needed a photo (see exhibit A and B).

A

B

As I'm taking the photos, I notice this guy is very much alive. I stand there watching it struggle and know I have to do the right thing. I run into the garage, grab my gloves and the scissors. I will save this snakes life, I thought!

I make a move towards him to cut the netting away and he comes at me defensively. I in turn scream bloody murder. Seriously the mother of all screams. This then forces the snake to freak out and get more tangled. Whoops...

I try again and we repeat the scream and more tangling. This isn't working, I realize. I'm too much of a wimp. So I run around the fence and thankfully my neighbor is just about to start fishing. I scream, please help me as if a pack of wild dogs is on my tail about to jump me. My neighbor runs over and I take him to the poor snake. This guy makes Steve Erwin look like a smuck. He professionally holds down the snakes head with no gloves may I add, and begins expertly cutting away the net from the snake all the while chatting with me casually. He had determined my scream was one of the little kids as he had heard it and was wondering what on earth was going on. I was slightly embarrassed...

Finally the snake is unleashed and spirals around the arm of my amazingly nature loving neighbor. He stands there nonchalant petting the snake while talking to me about Connecticut snakes assuring me no poisonous ones are in the area. I thanked him profusely for saving the snakes life and mine. Feels good to save a snake. Terrifying as it was!

3 comments:

Cheun said...

OMG!! That thing is huge!! I would've screamed bloody murder too and wouldn't have been as brave to attempt freeing it. Probably would've thrown water on it if it was thirsty and waited. Good gracious. :)

DUTA said...

"all's well that ends well", but you should have called for help the moment you saw the snake ,not trying to deal with it by yourself. Snakes are dangerous.

Sumit said...

Wow! That's some snake! I admire the fact that instead of beting the snake over the head with a stick, you tried to save it.

Here in India, most people kill snakes whenever they encounter any. Rather sad, that is!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...