Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Paris

Paris, what can I say! First of all, a huge thank you to Chris and Colin for treating us to a magnificent trip.

So once we booked our trip to England, I thought we’d be there for 12 days, we should get in some sight-seeing while we were there. Jared has never been anywhere in Europe so I really wanted him to see something! I thought Paris would be a great day trip maybe so I asked the fam and they were up for it. Low and behold, they ended up booking us on a 3 day excursion!

A few days after getting settled into the house, we got up early and headed to St. Pancras Station to hop on our Eurostar train bound for Paris. The train was fun. You didn’t even realize were under water when we got to the chunnel. I looked up from my book and saw it was dark and for about 20 minutes it stayed dark. Then we were in France! You had no idea what was going on really. Once in Paris, we got off the train and the fun began.

We waited in the taxi queue for about 30 minutes being loud, obnoxious English speaking people. I pretended I was on my own... No offense to the fam! Then low and behold we get into the taxi and ask for our hotel after much effort to get laughed at! The hotel was a two minute walk up the road from the train station! Duh!

After checking in, we embarked on our wonderful journey of experiencing an interestingly, terrible yet funny hotel room. They did the job of letting us sleep and bath/pee and poo however they were hysterically funny. Chris and Colin got booked into a room with two twin beds and a toilet in a cubbie too small for anyone with hips or an extra 50. So we all laughed it up and had a good time before heading out to tramp around the streets.


I picked up a few maps in the lobby so they deemed me the tour guide, what?! I was to lead the fam around the streets of Paris. So we walked a bit towards city center and then stopped in a café for Jared to get an eight dollar cup of hot chocolate. Yowsers! We then made our way to the river and the Louvre and enjoyed walking around the shops. Dinner time was looming and we were starved so we looked for a restaurant a friend at home recommended we try. Well turns out my map following skills rock! I found it! Turns out our friend was a bit off; the place was closed, finito, forever. A couple blocks away we found a brasserie and got an okay meal and some delicious, genuine French onion soup. Yum!

We walked to the Eiffel Tower after dinner to stare at its beauty. That structure, I’m not sure why, but it does something to me. It’s like I’m spellbound by its beauty, its gleaming lights, and the glow that is probably the single most romantic sight I have ever seen.

The next day we met up for a free tour that took a three and a half hour walk around Paris to see the sights. That was fun and Jared got to see all the big stuff. After a long exhausting day, we had an early dinner and called it a night. We were pooped!

Our last day we went to Notre Dame and I lit a candle for my dear Grandmother who is my hero. We walked around the church in awe at the beautiful stained glass windows. After that and lunch, it was time to catch the train back. Sharing some of my favorite shots of Paris.










I love this photo. Jared took this of me looking up in utter awe!







Jared looking like a dork!




In the end, I asked Jared what he thought of Paris and the picture below explains it all. Apparently he was not impressed.


He took this on our tour and is still his favorite photo from the trip!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...