Monday, August 18, 2008

Bees!

This past weekend was an interesting one. It started off on Thursday night. I got Jared tickets to see Jeff Dunham for his birthday. My mom also got tickets for my Dad for his birthday. The four of us drove up to Massachusetts for dinner and then the show. The show was freaking hysterical! There was so much adlib that Jeff Dunham and the Guitar Guy were laughing just as hard as we were. I've not laughed like that in a while so it really was a good time. If you've never heard of Jeff Dunham, check him out on YouTube. I've never been a fan of ventriloquism. It always freaked me out and I can't help but focus on the guy's mouth watching move a bit. But I was able to enjoy myself. It was awesome!

On Friday night, my cousin Mel got married. It was a beautiful wedding and Mel looked stunning. It's amazing that we're old enough to be married. I feel like just yesterday we were having pool parties and cutting each other's hair.

Saturday and Sunday were garden days. However as Jared started trimming our tree in the front yard, he noticed a bee hive! It was a little bigger than a softball! I immediately panicked and for most of the day we joked about how we'd take care of it. Finally the end of the day, I had been wiping down the house of cob webs with this very long duster thingy. I told Jared I'd hit the hive down with it, run into the garage, and then he'd close the door very quickly. Fool proof, right? So after 10 minutes of me wimping out, we were finally in position and ready to swat hundreds of angry bees. I'm still not sure what I was thinking...

Again, it took me a few minutes in my position to hit it. I threw the huge duster against the hive, dropped it and ran for my life! I got in the garage and the door started to close. But we noticed the hive did not drop and the duster was up against the tree. I had miserably failed. So Jared came down and while the bees were very pissed off and flying around, he proceeded to really knock it down and run. We both huddled in the garage while the door closed, hoping we would not be followed. It was a success! The hive was on the ground and neither of us got stung.

Saturday night we took a walk on the beach; it was a beautiful night. We ate at the Back Porch in Old Saybrook overlooking the Connecticut River. It was a great night. However we ended the night watching Sicko by Michael Moore. I definitely didn't sleep all night because of this movie. But you need to watch it.

On Sunday, we got up the nerve to check on the bees. Wouldn't you know it! They were already rebuilding and it was pretty big already! Those cheeky bastards. We figured we'd wait a bit and then take care of it. But then I turned the corner and Jared chopped the tree branch off. He is insane. Again, he pissed off a ton of bees and did not get stung. But they started rebuilding again! These bastards are really getting on our nerves at this point. Jared decides we need to spray them otherwise they'd never leave. He gets his poison and zaps hundreds of bees. He still did not get stung! He was so damn lucky. Unfortunately many bees had to die the making of this story but better them than me getting stung!

I was too wimpy to take more pictures in the event I would get stung!!




By the way, we unleashed the kitty. He was outside all weekend and I just let him out again this morning. He's so darn cute out there bouncing on the grass and chasing flies. After almost all day in the yard running after Smudge, he came in and I caught him here, exhausted! He's too cute.





1 comment:

Maureen Girard said...

Lovely, I'm not a huge fan of paper wasps either. I think my dad used to wait until night time & smoke the bees. I had underground bees & accidentally disturbed them. I was gardening & wearing old baggy clothes at the time & several went up my shirt! I got stung several times. Lets just say that I was not proud & that shirt came off as I ran into the house. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...