Monday, March 31, 2008

Our first trip out of the country together!

Jared got his green card on March 9, 2008. So this past weekend, we celebrated. And by no other means than by leaving the country! Jared told me I need to be out of work on Thursday at 3PM and then have Friday off. Well you know me the workaholic not being able to not work. Well I gave in and convinced Jared to tell me where we were going but he would not give in. I finally got out of him it’s cold and not hot so at least I could pack.

We set out around 4 on Thursday afternoon. We gave the cats a pep talk about behaving, ran back in a few times forgetting items and then made our long drive. Of course we only made it to Glastonbury before stopping for some early dinner to hold us the rest of the way. We were both really excited since we hadn’t been away in a long time and this was a first for me, leaving work email for more than 3 days… Would I ever make it!?

We stopped a couple more times on the way and then there it was. The US/Canada border. I’ve never crossed the US border by car so I was fascinated. I immediately fixed my hair, applied my lip gloss to make sure I looked good for the part. You never know what cute border control guard may be there, and even though I’m with my husband, it can’t hurt to look good. Jared of course was laughing at me. So we’re at the border, at the guard and he’s checking our passports and Jared’s gleaming/glossing green card, never been used. Everything is going along swimmingly until the guard asks us the reason for our visit. My husband says, and I’m not lying, “To get away from Bush for a few days.” I almost died right there in my car. It’s okay to say that joking around to a few friends but joking around to border control! I almost killed him. The guard did NOT laugh and just mentioned that he hopes this conversation wasn’t recorded. So once we got into Canada, the first hour or so we argued over how my husband is an idiot, how he will not be allowed back in the US and a plethora of other topics including free speech and all that jazz.

At this point I’m tired. I’m just sitting there in the dark and there nothing to look at on this long straight road ahead so I start to doze. Finally, Daniel (our travel buddy/satellite navigation system) mentions we’re almost there so I’m up and looking around. Apparently we have 15 minutes until our arrival and we are in the middle of nowhere. Jared told me we were going to Quebec (after the border crossing) but no other details. That is when I began to worry. He says he’s looking out for the Comfort Inn that he booked (which I totally don’t believe since Jared would never book a Comfort Inn and he’s just trying to get to me). Well it worked. There is literally nothing around and then there is 10 minutes to arrival. I started to freak out.

Jared are we going to just the province of Quebec? Did you just pick a random hotel in the province of Quebec that is no where near anything? Of course he doesn’t know what he did (or so he says). He lets me panic for little while longer and then we see lights and a big bridge with a sign pointing out Quebec City. So this is where we’re going, I think! I’m immediately excited as we drive through the city and come across Old Quebec and the cobblestone buildings and narrow streets. It’s so adorable and reminds me so much of Europe. We pull up in front of
Hotel du Vieux Quebec and I’m in love already.

It’s past midnight so we’re exhausted at this point but make it in and are very excited. After a few hours of sleep, we’re up and Jared is opening the door for some reason. He comes back with a little picnic basket that was hung to our door. It’s complete with fresh croissants, juice, fruits, etc. Apparently they deliver our continental breakfast every morning like this and it was delicious.

On Friday, we had plans. As a matter of fact, we had an entire weekend planned down to lunches. Jared really did a good job and did a lot of research. That morning we headed out into the cold to visit a humongous waterfall. Jared knows my aversions to waterfalls so that was top priority on his list. Daniel safely took us over there after a few problems here and there. However not without my husband thinking traffic laws don’t apply to him. So we did go down a few one ways the wrong way and did park a bit illegally in a few spots. I think my racing heart is back to normal now.

The waterfall was gorgeous and it’s bigger than Niagara Falls. Of course the one thing I’ve forgot to mention is the snow. Being much farther north than us, Quebec has a lot of snow. I’m not exaggerating when I say there is at least 4-5 feet of snow on the ground right now. So everywhere you look you have to look over that much snow. The waterfall was no exception.

A part of it was frozen but the water that was falling into a giant pit of snow was so pretty. There were icicles hanging and snow falling. The wind was howling and we were freezing our asses off, but that was besides the point. Take a look at some of our great pics below. There was a walkway all the way over the waterfall and we made the trek. I would say there was a 98% chance of one of us wiping out on the ice surrounding the walkway and Jared and I both almost ruined that 2% chance numerous times, but we made it and hung tight!

After the waterfall we had a great lunch at a happening restaurant called Cosmos. Now can I just tell you in case you didn’t already know. In Quebec, they speak French. Yes. I know NO French except hello and thank you. So wherever we went, I would say Bonjour and then when they started to talk some more I’d just nod trying not to offend them with my ignorant ways. However Jared, he “knew” French. He would say hello in French and then try to ask the question in French. That would tell the person he is knowledgeable in the language so they would answer in French. However it was pointless because a large fraction of the time, he didn’t know what they were saying back so he just stands there nodding and not getting helped. Most of the time when this happened, I wandered away because I couldn’t help not laughing hysterically at the situation.

After lunch we went on a walking tour of Old Quebec. Again, remember that it’s in the north, 5 feet of snow and about 20 degrees outside. We were so bundled up and thankfully our tour guide stopped everyone once in a while for us to thaw out. But three hours outside in the cold left us frozen and exhausted. The tour was great though besides the weather. We got to see some beautiful places and learn some cool things. We ended the tour at this quaint café with some hot cocoa and pastry.

After thawing out for the day (which took a few hours and a very long, very hot shower), we went next door to a hopping Italian restaurant for dinner. It was a great time and when we left it was snowing and with the street lights and the people it was so beautiful.

Saturday morning we had our lie in breakfast and then went off in the snow to walk around a bit. It was snowing in the morning and pretty cold but not as cold as the day before. Plus I was more prepared and wore 2 pairs of pants and 2 shirts J. We went and say a 3D movie about Quebec that was pretty cool and then we made a pilgrimage to outside the city and to the Ice Hotel, made entirely of ice and snow!

The Ice Hotel was probably one of the coolest things I’d ever seen. It was an actual hotel and everything was Ice! I was so amazed. They had a lobby area, a bar/lounge, a café and many rooms to sleep in (which people actually do). One of the coolest parts was me and Jared being at the bar and we ordered a drink, which of course was served in a giant ice cube with a hole in the center. It was so cool in more ways than one! After a short time we had to leave due to the frigid temps in there but it was so worth it to see that amazing spectacle.

Next up we hit a mall. And I think the huge mall I went to in Dallas may be the only rival to this mall that I’ve seen. This mall in Quebec was, wow, enormous! So big it had an amusement park inside! There was a rollercoaster, a Ferris wheel and many other rides/fun. There were so many stores and after a few hours we hadn’t even walked the entire mall but it was shutting at 5PM so we were out! Back at the hotel we got ready for dinner and set out in search of some local French cuisine. We stumbled upon this restaurant and as soon as I heard the accordion we had to stop! The restaurant was so beautiful. It felt like being in an old time living room. The food was terrific and so was the music. We walked around a bit after and went to a bar to then wind up back at the hotel for the night and get ready for our departure.

Sunday morning we went to visit the Quebec Aquarium since Jared got us free passes. It was really fun, cold and we had a nice brunch there. They had polar bears which was so cool! Finally after noon, it was time to say goodbye to Quebec and three days without emails.

We set out on our journey home and stopped for gas in Canada which was over $6/gallon! So we only got a bit to tide us over to the border. However we were almost at the border and almost out of gas. It was looking like we wouldn’t make it to VT so Jared took out handy dandy Daniel to find us the nearest gas station. We get off an exit and after a few miles we got weary. We were in the middle of the woods on dirt roads going10 miles here and 10 miles there to finally end up at a dead end with no gas. We definitely started to panic. We did not have enough gas to get back to the high way let alone another gas station. We were laughing and worried and making awful triple A jokes plus we both had to pee! Another gas station apparently was a few miles away but again we struck out. Daniel almost went out the window! The third try and 25 minutes later, we came across a busy road and there was an actual town! It was a miracle! Complete with a McDonalds (to pee) and a gas station (for gas). It was very scary for a bit that we’d get stuck in the middle of Quebec countryside with no gas and not to mention no cell reception. That would have sucked big time.

Finally we were at the border but not without stopping at duty free for some cordials that we loved and were not available in the US. After stocking up we waited in line to get across the border. I begged Jared to shut his mouth this time so we can get going. I also told him that if he did get detained and not allowed back in the US, I was taking the car J. We got through safe and sound, thankfully so all I had to worry about was coming home to the mess our cats may have left us.

It was a long drive but it was so much fun. We had a wonderful time and I’d love to go back in the summer. It’s such a cool city, full of that European charm but just a car ride away. Thanks to my wonderful husband for organizing it!



Pictures of the city.




Large famous mural on the side of a building.


Pictures of the city.




The waterfall.



The icy path to walk over the waterfall.




The waterfall .



The bridge over the waterfall.


Very high up and very cold!

Does this snow make me look short?




The Ice Hotel.




The Ice Hotel.




The Ice Hotel.




A hotel room in the Ice Hotel.




The bar at the Ice Hotel.


Me trying to slide down the ice slide at the Ice Hotel.




Having a cold one at the bar.



Ice Hotel cafe.


A coffee table.

In the lobby.


the mall!


the mall!

Polar bear..grrr.


One of my favorite shots of the city.

Another favorite shot of the night.

This church was used in the film Catch Me if You Can (supposedly in France) but actually in Quebec.

This is us in the middle of nowhere looking for gas on this dirt road to no where :)

1 comment:

Maureen Girard said...

What snow! What ice! Very cool! ;) I think this might be something that Gene might like to do when he finally gets his passport!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...