Monday, June 09, 2014

When Judgement Crosses the Line

I am rarely shocked these days when it comes to human decency. People suck. Simple as that. But sometimes something happens and I just can't imagine that a person could do or say something so asinine. Sometimes people just cross the line and leave me speechless. Last week I had such a moment.

Jared does side work often for folks in the area. Video editing, photography, DVD copies, etc. It's actually picked up quite a bit and he does this all from home.

In another life, Jared and I lived in a snobby little town and were slaves to the rich. Literally. Need a bartender? Call Jessie and Jared. Need your house cleaned? Call Jared. Need a babysitter? Call Jessie. Need you car detailed? Call Jared. You name it, we did it for money. We had to get by and all those side jobs helped us. On top of our full time jobs, we did side work all the time. We paid off debt and we saved up to buy a house. We've worked hard to get where we are today and that's for sure.

Since we've moved from said snobby town and into a more family friendly town close by. But regardless of how much time has passed and how we don't do the slavery anymore for those well to do folks, they still see us as beneath them, secondary citizens. I see it time after time as we are looked down upon. So what we used to bartend at your social gatherings! We are still people and we deserve to be treated with decency.

In any event, one of these folks from our old life contacted Jared to do some video editing. We probably haven't talked to him in ages nor does he really know what became of us. Last time we lived in town near him, we rented a small cottage behind a big house. It was a shack but I liked to think of it as a cute cottage!

Jared gave him our address and the date was set. The same day/time he was to arrive, we had the lawn care guy here helping Jared fertilize. So the guy arrives drives up our driveway. Jared patiently waited for him to come to the door but he didn't. What happened next, I could not make up if I tried.

Jared's cell phone rang. It was the guy, in our driveway. He goes, do I have the right place? Jared says yes I see you, come on in.

He walks in the door and this was the exchange:

Guy: Wow, nice place you got here!

Jared: Thanks! We love it.

Guy: Definitely wasn't expecting you to live here. Thought you were going to be the guy from the landscaping truck out there mowing the lawn of this nice place.

Jared: (awkward laugh)

Guy: Didn't think you'd live in a place like this!

Jared: Ha! What did you expect? A shack?!

Guy: Yeah, or maybe a tent. Definitely not this!

Jared: (more awkward laughing)

Seriously dude! Really?! Thought we weren't good enough for a house, only a shack or a tent! Or should only be the ones working on a house like this?

I was beyond floored listening to this conversation. I was sitting there holding my tongue, trying hard not to say something rude back. Of course after he left, I let my anger take over me and reeled at Jared. How dare he come into our home and offend us like that!

Even if he was half joking, it was not funny. I'm so sick of people judging us. You're too poor to do that or you have so much money if you have that. Really, people get a life.



1 comment:

Heather said...

Hi Jessie! My name is Heather and I just have a quick question about your blog that I was hoping you would be willing to answer! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...