Monday, September 12, 2011

Working Mom Mondays - My Parenting Style

I'm hands on, for everything. I don't want to read a manual, instructions, or watch a tutorial. I want to have at it on my own.  I like to dig in to something and figure it out.  I've noticed lately that I'm pushing that skill on to Lyla.  Not sure if it's a good or bad thing.

Lyla is with me 24/7 pretty much so whatever I do, she does with me.  I mean everything.  I am going up the stairs, so is she.  I am watering the flowers, so is she.  I am emptying the dishwasher, so is she.  But I don't just have her watch, I make her take part.  Everyday items are learning opportunities for her.  I like to make sure that whatever I am doing, I'm telling her what it is and how to do it.  I like to think she is paying attention and learning, and sometimes she really is.  But honestly I think this has taught me a lot more than her.  

I'm constantly running around like a crazy woman trying to get all my crap done in a short amount of time.  Sometimes I just need to run down the stairs with a laundry basket to run a load as quickly as I can.  But there is Lyla at the top of the stairs and no matter how busy I am, I make time to teach her to go down the stairs; bump, bump, on your rump.  Watching her improve on this because I don't rush her is so rewarding and on top of everything else it's teaching me a great deal of patience.  

Every single chore now has Lyla as a part of it.  It also makes me enjoy my chores more.  Emptying the dishwasher Lyla loves.  She gets a kick out of handing me things and after every item, I tell her 'thank you'.  She's learning not only to help do things but manners as well.  

I also push her to figure things out on her own.  She gets frustrated so easily and instead of helping her figure something, I encourage her to keep trying and do it on her own.  Sometimes it works, other times it backfires.  But in the end, I know or think I'm teaching her to be a good person who tries hard and is independent.

I hope I'm doing good by Lyla.  I hope she learns and grows.  I hope she succeeds with all she wants to do.  I just love her.

[PS this blog post was written while Jared was watching this army documentary and I was extremely sidetracked. So if this doesn't make sense, my apologies!]

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...