Thursday, June 02, 2011

My most embarrassing, awful yet comical day

This is a true story that happened to me, today.  I wish I was making this up but I don't think one can.

I had a meeting in Queens, NY today at the New York Hall of Science.  Yesterday I was going back and forth about driving versus taking the train.  I was too nervous with all the train switchovers so I thought I would just drive, no big deal.  Even though late last night I almost booked a train ticket. I was so undecided!

But alas I got up this morning and left super early to leave myself time for traffic. I pumped my iPod up with some great tunes and got moving.  I stopped at D&D for a iced latte and then to our favorite bakery for some treats for my meeting.  Before I got to the bakery though, I rolled through a stop sign and got busted.  The cop was nice and only gave me a warning.  Phew!

I got half way through my trip and hit a major traffic jam in Connecticut.  It wasn't too bad and I was still going to make my meeting.  I got into Queens just after 11am and my meeting was at noon.  I pulled into the parking lot and was at a loss as to which way to go.  I didn't see any signs.  So I guessed left and turned however it wasn't until I turned that I saw the "one way" sign.  I panicked!  I stopped the car and began a quick K turn before traffic came.  Only problem is that when I went to go in reverse, my car didn't seem to want to go.  My shifter seemed not to be working at all.  I started to panic.  Turned the car on and off but still nothing.  I was stuck in the middle of the a parking lot road facing the wrong way. Awesome!

I called Jared freaking out and he tried to help but no avail.  Tears started welling and a big SUV came by and I had to get out of my car to tell him I was stuck and hope he could get around.  He said no problem and that he couldn't help me.  The next car stopped and came out to help me push the car out of the way.  But the car was locked in park so the wheels would not move.  Ugh!  More tears...

Another car stopped and he tried to push to. Nada.  I was parked right in front of the door to the museum and one of the employees came out to investigate. Upon finding I was stuck he also tried to help and diagnose the problem.  Meanwhile I got on the phone to our car help hotline - we have All-state.  Kind of like AAA but not...don't know why we switched, but whatever.

After 10 minutes of talking to a computer I got a dude who asked me a bunch of questions and then said the tow truck would be out in over an hour.  My survivor mode kicked in and I yelled back at him that I was blocking a major route at the museum and they had to come asap!  He told me to call the towing company and I yelled at him to do it since that is what I was paying for!  It was unbelievable.  Then my coworker showed up, thankfully so I wasn't alone.  He talked to the guys, tried to help, and then went to our meeting as I waited for the tow truck.  

But that's not all.  My car was blocking a road where all the buses lined up to pick up the kids.  All the buses and I'm talking like 60-70 of them were coming by and all having to hop the curb to get by. My poor SUV was just stuck in the middle of all of them and I just cringed thinking it was going to get hit.

I sat out in the sun watching the car and pretending it wasn't mine while I waited. I was so embarrassed by all the kids walking around my car and the buses maneuvering around it.  It was awful!

Finally 2 hours later, the tow truck arrived.  I was so pissed but grateful at the same time.  However because my car was locked in park, the wheels couldn't turn.  So when he pulled it to get on the flatbed, the metal hook snapped in half!  I couldn't believe it!  I don't know what that guy did, but he somehow, eventually got it up there dragging my tires along which I'm sure are a tad ruined at this point.

Now what?  The guy will tow it anywhere but where do I go?  He can bring me back to CT but for a cost.  So we decided to bring it to the closest Lexus dealer since we figured they would definitely know how to fix it rather than risk a small garage.

What seemed like an eternity in traffic we got to Lexus and they were able to take it in.  I owed the tow guy $10 of which I did not have on me. I never have cash!  He couldn't take a card and at this point I was almost hysterical and asking for him to help a pathetic woman out.  He obliged and didn't charge me.  I was grateful and will send them a check now that I'm home.

So anyways, I'm at the dealership, again in tears because at this point I just want to go home.  The service guy said he thinks a cable broke and a part would need to be ordered.  They brought me upstairs to the waiting room where I was able to pee (first time since 6am and it's 2) and get as snack since I hadn't eaten a thing all day.  They call me into a little office to take down my info and this guy was so serious.  He asked me what was wrong and then I told him I really wanted it fixed asap so I could go home to CT.  He said no way they go home at 5!  I couldn't help myself and the tears came flowing again!  I asked for a tissue and basically begged him to get it checked immediately.

But it was a problem anyways.  The cable for the shifter had snapped and they had to order a part.  But the guy seeing my dismay said I could take a loaner home.  I was saved!  I was so happy until he told me what the whole thing would cost (gulp!).  This really nice man brought me down to my car to help me get my car seat, stroller, and other things out of my car.  Then he brought me to my loaner - a Lexus IS250 (sweet ride!).  I was shaking nervous because I had never driven this car, it wasn't mine, and I was in a big city.  But he kindly showed me how to work the GPS and do basic stuff and I was on my way home.

I left Queens at 4:30 and walked through the door at home just before 8pm.  Yup, you guessed it, huge traffic jam caused by an accident.  I was in the car for so long!  The only thing that kept me going was the thought of Lyla being awake still when I came home (which she was, thanks Jared!) and Sirious radio 90s on 9.  I jammed to Snoop Dogg, Nirvana, Paula Abdul, and Green Day the whole way home reminiscing of my school days.  It was not a bad ride because of that.

But I'm so glad to be home despite the fact that I have to drive back to Queens to get my car...

What an awful yet comical day!  And to top it all off, my whole face, chest, and feet are sunburned wicked bad (wahhh!).

Thank you to the guy at New York Hall of Science for almost acting like my 'dad' during this situation, the two gentlemen who stopped to try and help, the maintenence man who almost fixed it, the tow truck guy for being kind, my coworker, and all the people at Lexus who helped this little doe out.  What a day!

I'm exhausted and I can't wait to shower and go to bed.  

Hope I made your bad day (if you had one) seem like a cake walk.  My day sucked!


Here is my car, literally at the front door.


Perspective - I'm blocking the entire road!

2 comments:

christina said...

Oh honey!!! What a DAY! I'm glad you're alright!

Holly said...

Wow! It sounds like something I would do. I'm glad you are alright and it worked out sort of...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...