Saturday, March 26, 2011

Why I am Fat

I know why I'm fat, mostly. But there are still times I am shocked about something and then I realize, so that's why I'm fat!  Like a light bulb goes off in my head.

Okay, so I'm not that fat; but I'm not fit either.  Before I had Lyla, I was on my way to getting fitter. I was working out all the time, I was eating good and I was losing a tad bit of weight.  Then I got pregnant, pigged out for 9 months and gained 45 pounds (of mostly water weight - man, was I swollen!).  I'm happy to say that I've lost about 40 of that with only five pounds left.

My goal is to drop some more weight before we try for baby number 2.  So in meeting that goal, my agenda is to work off 500 calories 4-6 times per week by walking/running and watching my calorie intake.  I never really looked at the calories on food/drink labels. I always read the sugar, sodium, and dietary fiber amounts.  But calories, that is the important thing for me now.  And with my lent goal (giving up all chocolate, candy, cake, cookies), I've been able to cut out any unhealthy snacks from my diet.  I've been doing pretty good but lost only 5 pounds this past month.  But I'm not too worried about that since I'm looking at more of a lifestyle change than a quick diet.  Plus I allow myself to cheat every once in a while.  It's only fair and life is short.  If I want boxed mac and cheese for lunch one day a month, I will!  Even if I eat the whole box!

So anyways, today I was at Wal-Mart and they were giving out small bags of Sun Chips.  I don't usually care for any chips like that but Sun Chips are healthy, sort of. Me and Lyla shared the bag because I was starving and it made me thirsty.  On the way out, I stopped at the vending machine for a beverage.  If you know me at all, I don't do soda and all I drink ever really is water or tea (iced or hot).  The machine had Brisk and I couldn't remember the last time I had Brisk so I thought, what the hell!  I got it, took a big swig, ahh!  Yum, but sweet.  I looked at the label and then almost fell over.  I never realized there were 80 calories per serving in Brisk and there were two and a half servings of it!  So if you drink the entire bottle, that's 200 calories!  Holy cow!  I couldn't believe how many calories were in that.  I know it wasn't good for me but maybe I was naive to think it wasn't too bad.  

I thought about my past when I was the fattest ever - during college - and how many beverages like this I drank.  There ya go!  Light bulb!  Another reason why I was/am fat.  I just wish I had realized that earlier.  I wish I had read the calorie intake and put the drink down!

Going forward, I'm going to stick with water and save my calories for mac and cheese!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...