Saturday, March 05, 2011

Goodbye 20s...

Dear 30s,

Well, it's nice to make your acquaintance, even though I'm not that excited to meet you.  In fact, I'm pretty sure you came way too fast.  I don't think the 20s were quite done with me (but I'll let you two argue it out).  

I have been thinking a lot about my life lately and about how I'm getting older; more so about how I'm entering a new era (you).  I want to make sure we have some understanding, hence I'm writing this letter to you.

I want to make sure we don't part ways to fast.  I can't even fathom (GULP) the 40s just yet so if you get rid of me in what seems to be the wink of an eye, I may just have a minor heart attack.  The 40s are SO not on my radar just yet and I'd like to keep it that way, thanks.

I have also been thinking about how life is just that; life.  You can't stop it, speed it up, or slow it down. You just have to live.  I can't do anything about the fact that I'm now in my 30s so the only thing I can do is embrace it.  I can embrace it, be grateful, and just live life to its fullest. That is what I plan to do.

I am 30.  I am 30 years old.  I'm no longer in my 20s.  I am a 30-something.  Eventually this will sound normal to me and not totally foreign so give me time to adjust.  

I've gotta tell ya, 30s, I'm not sure if I'm ready for you.  In fact, I'm rather nervous so please take it easy on me.  Let's make this adjustment slow and painless, okay?

In any event, I'm lucky to have the family I do and the daughter I have because that makes this transition so much easier.  Now all my friends and my husband can finally say I've reached 30 (since many of them have been saying for years, why is Jessie not 30 yet?!)  I've finally hit it, I'm finally there, I've reached the big ticket.

30; no longer a child, no longer in my 20s, and a bona fide grown-up (good lord).

So 30s, hello and I welcome you to my life.  It's the start of a new me.

Love,
Your new 30-something gal 

Happy Birthday to me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...