Saturday, December 05, 2009

25 Days of Christmas Memories - Day 5

This year I've decided to write a special Christmas memory for the 25 days of Christmas. Each day until Christmas day, I will share a funny Christmas moment, memorable gift exchange, and my happy moments with family.  I hope you enjoy!


5th Day of Christmas

Two years ago, Jared and I were comfortably settled into our home and were awaiting his parent's first visit to our new house for Christmas.  I felt it only necessary to toss our tiny, tacky fake tree (the only one we could fit in our old cottage) and get a real tree.  But I wanted to go all out.  I picked a tree farm in Connecticut (that ended up being an hour away...) and we took our SUV out there.  It was a pretty drive although Jared kept complaining about how far we were going.  When we got to the tree farm, my eyes few with wonder; so many trees, so little time!

We parked the car and went to talk to the people at the bottom of the hill.  They explained to us what kind of trees were where, handed us a saw, and we were on our way.  We decided which direction to go and started walking up the hill.  There were trees everywhere!  I didn't know how we'd possible decide.  We could barely decide on paint colors for the house let alone pick one tree out of thousands...

But eventually it started to snow and was getting colder which forced us to decide quicker.  I found one I really liked and Jared said are you sure.  I was so he gave me the saw and told me to cut it down.  Knowing Jared liked to spurt out these very ungentleman like comments often (like:  It's raining honey, can you get the car for me?  Can you hold the door for me for a change?  Your turn to take out the trash. etc), I grabbed the saw wanting to prove to him that I could totally cut this tree down.

Yeah, I lasted about 30 seconds.  First of all, I could barely reach underneath the tree (being only five feet) without being swallowed whole by it to reach the middle.  Then once I got there, seemed I almost completely disappeared and had no leverage to saw.  I put the saw up to the trunk and tried but to no avail knew I needed a manly man to cut this sucker down.

I came out from under the tree smiling and Jared grabbed the saw, sighing that I really wanted to cut down a tree but what I had really meant was that I wanted him to cut down a tree for me.  So very true.  He got under there and made it happen.  I held on to the tree as hard as I could and voila, we had a tree!

The guys then came to drive the tree down the hill, even off the bottom, and net it up for us.  Then came the fun part of attaching it to our roof which Jared got so annoyed with he barely tied it up there at all.  Let's just say the hour drive home, my head was looking out the back window to make sure the tree was not falling off the car.

But all in all we had a fun time and the tree was gorgeous once we got it up.  I can't wait to get our tree again this year.  I hope it's a new tradition we keep forever.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...