Friday, December 04, 2009

25 Days of Christmas Memories - Day 4

This year I've decided to write a special Christmas memory for the 25 days of Christmas. Each day until Christmas day, I will share a funny Christmas moment, memorable gift exchange, and my happy moments with family.  I hope you enjoy!


4th Day of Christmas

When I was little, sometime in the 80s, my parents had this old Renault hatchback.  It was a creamy/yellow color with the matching interior.  It was a cute car and I can vividly remember it in our driveway.  The back seats had been torn up from our old dog, Sadie but it still plugged along fine.

One Christmas and I can't remember how old I was or when exactly but my dad told me we were going to get a real Christmas tree for the house and I was ecstatic as it was my first one.  My mom hated real trees because it caused her to vacuum ten times a day.  So he took me since I was the oldest and my brother was too little - I can't even remember if my sister was born yet.  Well anyways we got in the Renault hatchback - yeah go figure - to get a tree.

I can't remember much of the actual tree shopping experience but getting it into the car I can picture like it was yesterday.  Dad was going to put it in this rink-a-dink car's trunk so he wanted to fold the seats down.  The little latch was stuck so he was having trouble pulling it out to get the seats to fold.  He was going on and on and then it started to snow but he still couldn't get them down.  So he took his car key and started pulling at the little latch with that hoping to get a better grip.  The next thing you know, the key slipped and cut his hand open.  There is my dad swearing, gushing with blood, and freezing as I stand by trying not to make him more mad.  He finally got the seats down and shoved the tree in to the blood soaked back seat.  For some reason, that was the last year we got a real tree...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...