Thursday, December 24, 2009

25 Days of Christmas Memories - Day 24

This year I've decided to write a special Christmas memory for the 25 days of Christmas. Each day until Christmas day, I will share a funny Christmas moment, memorable gift exchange, and my happy moments with family.  I hope you enjoy! (honestly I can't believe I've actually made it this far!)

24th Day of Christmas


I love animals.  Okay, I'll be honest, I've always loved dogs but hated cats.  Dogs were so fun to play with and I felt cats were dirty and walked on kitchen counters (gross!).  I never liked cats (which Jared reminds me daily as I hug and kiss my cats non stop... but we'll get to that).

When I was born until I was around five we had this massive Samoyed named Sadie.  Every picture of me as kid was with Sadie.  She was a beautiful dog.  My parents even breded and sold a bunch of her puppies.  When we moved back to CT, my parents left her with my aunt because they couldn't take her.  I loved Sadie and remember her well.

Ever since then, my mother has been adamant about no pets in her house.  She is a neat freak and hates to vacuum up pet hair non stop.  We begged and pleaded with her all the time, even my dad, but she never gave in.  Then when I was 15, my parents went out a few weeks before Christmas to do some Christmas shopping and I was left to watch my siblings.  When my parents returned we were in for a big surprise. My mom came through the door first and then my dad followed with something stuffed in the front of his shirt.  He told me to get my brother and sister and when we all gathered, he let out a tiny, border collie mix puppy.   This puppy was the cutest thing I'd ever seen. I couldn't believe my mother had given in and we were finally getting a dog.

We spent hours petting him and arguing over a name.  We got down to two names:  Sebastian and Nile.  We did a family vote and all the girls voted for Sebastian and won.  We called him Sebby/Sebster.  Sebby was the coolest dog.  He shit all over the house (really pissing my mother off until he was finally house broken).  He didn't chew things and loved to play.  We all loved him so much.  He was one of the best Christmas presents ever.

Sebster has had a good run.  Now he's just over 13 years old and struggling.  We know it's only time before we have to let Sebby go.  Sadly as that may be, it's not fair for him to be in pain.  We love Sebby, our best dog/Christmas present and always will.



Sebster

I would really love a dog for our home.  In fact it was a topic of argument for years.  I've come to the fact that we don't have the time right now for a dog to give him/her the time they deserve.  Plus with our two cats, they would probably run away and never come back.

Two cats?  Yes we do have two cats.  When I met Jared he had a cat, Smudge.  She was just left outside and had no home. Full of ticks, Jared took her in and she had him whipped in no time.  I didn't mind Smudge.  In fact, I really grew to love her despite my desire to never own a cat.  After arguing so much about a dog, I thought, let's get a kitten together instead.  Knowing how much easier it would be to add a cat to our home, we went to a shelter and picked up Sooty.  We love Sooty like he's our baby, literally.  In fact, I think I love that cat too much!  But he's too freaking cute not to!  Plus our cats are well behaved (no counter walking), we vacuum and dust all the time so no cat smells or hair is lingering, and basically they are great pets!

Some day I'll get my dog but for now I'm happy with my two kitties - even though I did hate cats back in the day...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...