Wednesday, December 16, 2009

25 Days of Christmas Memories - Day 16

This year I've decided to write a special Christmas memory for the 25 days of Christmas. Each day until Christmas day, I will share a funny Christmas moment, memorable gift exchange, and my happy moments with family.  I hope you enjoy!


16th Day of Christmas

My mom has a beautiful fake tree in her house; one that she puts up on Thanksgiving night for us to decorate.  Every year since I was born (same goes for my brother and sister), she has bought us a gold ornament with our names and the year engraved.  So I have about 28 of them on her tree.  At this point she could decorate her entire tree with just these gold ornaments and it would be beautiful.  However each year we all have to put all our ornaments on the tree.  Each of us have our own labeled bin of ornaments and then there are 3-4 boxes of everyone's ornaments.

Included in these boxes are ornaments we've made as children.  Our nursery school hand prints, our third grade painting projects, and many other assorted crafted ornaments.  Being the oldest, my hand made ornaments are the oldest as well as the best.  Each year I marvel over my colored Christmas tree ornament and my big wreath I made.  Both done when I was under 8 with my funny first time hand printed name.  These ornaments make me so happy to see remembering my childhood.

Then one year, I was grabbing my Christmas tree ornament and my sister stopped me.  That's mine, she told me.  She said she made it in school.  I was like, uh no, this is my great work of art, nice try.  She turned it around and it had her name on it!  I looked incredulously at the big, awkward J-o-d-i-e.  It so clearly covered an erased J-e-s-s-i-e.  I had no idea how long ago she had done this or why for that matter but clearly this coveted Christmas tree ornament she wanted to be her own - obviously because of the sheer talent and skill showed with said ornament!  Anyways we argued and yelled and laughed until finally she admitted it was probably mine.  Now each year I grab my wonderful, hand-crafted Christmas tree ornament with pride to hang up on our tree always making my sister jealous.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...