Sunday, December 13, 2009

25 Days of Christmas Memories - Day 13

This year I've decided to write a special Christmas memory for the 25 days of Christmas. Each day until Christmas day, I will share a funny Christmas moment, memorable gift exchange, and my happy moments with family.  I hope you enjoy!


13th Day of Christmas

Jared goes to one jeweler to get all the jewelry we buy.  In fact he's friends with the woman who helped him pick out my engagement ring, our wedding rings, and the various things he has bought me through the years.  This same woman is great because when I'm in there with him, I tell her what I'd like the next time he's shopping for me, she remembers, and then helps him buy me exactly what I liked.

I'm not a huge jewelry lover but my mom started a collection for me when I was growing up and Jared has since contributed to it. I don't wear most of my stuff except on special occasions or evenings out because I'm always afraid to break or lose it.

Two years ago, I told Jared to not buy me jewelry anymore.  I had everything I'd always wanted:  a pretty and modest wedding and engagement set (that I love and will never upgrade even if we become millionaires), small diamond earrings that never leave my ears that my gram gave me a few Christmas' back, a small right hand diamond ring that Jared gave me for Christmas a few years back, and my favorite pearl ring.  I also have a few odds and ends of pretty necklaces, bracelets, and such.  (But I'll tell you right now, if you try to rob my house, you're not going to make out with any jewelry finds worth thousands so don't bother...)

I told Jared the only other piece of jewelry I ever wanted was my own pearl set (necklace, bracelet, earrings).  I love pearls and would take them over diamonds any day.  I wore an old pearl necklace my gram gave me all the time but it wasn't real and the clasp was about to break.  I told him that one day I'd like him to buy me my own real set because that was the last bit of jewelry I'd ever need or want.

Two Christmases ago, we were opening our gifts with his parents and I had gotten all of Jared's unwrapped, grateful for all my gifts.  Then he came over with one more for me.  I looked at the box unsure what to make of it.  When I opened it and saw the pearls I was in tears.  I'm not one for material things, and I'm very easy to please.  Those pearls made my whole Christmas and year for that matter. I was so grateful to Jared for getting them for me (especially when I hadn't expected them for years).  I was also grateful to the woman at the jewelry store who knew exactly what I wanted.  I was the luckiest girl that Christmas.

I still cherish that pearls set to this day.  I wear the earrings almost every day and pull out the necklace when we go out somewhere.  I feel so elegant in my set and I truly feel a woman can do anything if she's got her pearls on.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...