Friday, August 21, 2009

Books vs. Movies

I feel that books are the best source of entertainment. You can read a book and while you do that, escape your life and jump into another life. I find when I read a book, I transport myself into the world of the book. I picture what the characters look like, how they talk, and visualize their expressions as they fall in love, overcome circumstances, and enjoy life experiences. Picturing the scenery of a small beach town where a family has lived all their life is such an amazing thing. Making that handsome male lead character look the best with all your favorite qualities is a special treat. My favorite thing to do is cast the movie. If they were to make this book a movie, who would play who.

I remember reading Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. After the first book, One for the Money, I was hooked. I read all of the books up to eleven at the time in a very short period. While I was reading, I pictured all the characters as who they would be in the movie. Stephanie Plum was Sandra Bullock. Lula was Queen Latifa. Grandma Mazur was the little old lady from Golden Girls. Ranger was Antonio Banderas. But the only character I could never really place was Joe Morelli. He was such a stud muffin in the book and I really wanted James Dean to play him or Paul Newman during his Cat on the Hot Tin Roof days. But those things were not possible. Therefore since Newman and Dean were not available I hope they don't make the movie! It just won't be the same.

There is no worse buzz kill than reading a book you think is phenomenal and then seeing the movie. This happens all the time. I tell myself not to bother with the movie but I'm so drawn to it I can't help myself. I must admit it has to be hard to take a 300 page novel and turn it into a gripping two hour movie. But movie people, what is the deal? Why do you make them worse?

Case #1:
When I was in London, I read the entire Shopaholic series. Sophie Kinsella is an amazing writer and I loved Becky Bloomwood (the main character). She was everything hysterical and stereotypical of a shopping goddess. I read all four books that go with the series and loved each of them. When I found out they were making a movie, I cringed. I didn't know if I wanted to see it but I decided one night to rent it and watch it. I was devastated. The movie took place in the wrong city! That was not even the worst of it. I was down right disappointed in every bit of it, including Luke Brandon's character. I'm sorry but in the book he was way cuter...

Case #2:
Into the Wild is an amazing story about a man who decides to abandon his lifestyle and live the natural way. Chris McCandless was a pioneer and walked /hitched to Alaska to live off the land. John Krakauer's book about the journey of this man told only by his friends and acquaintances along the way, was a gripping book every step of the way. I was somewhat in awe of McCandless and thought of him to be very inspiring. When the movie came out, I was excited. How can the mess up a true story so badly? Well they did. I disliked the movie so much, I never even finished it - which is unheard of for me. I always finish a movie...

Case #3:
The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks is a phenomenal read. The movie, not so good. Now if I had not read the book but just had seen the movie? I wouldn't have known since the movie was really good to anyone who had not read the book. Also his book A Walk to Remember was made into a movie with Mandy Moore. The movie was not even close to the real thing. Of late they have done Nights in Rodanthe as a movie. I refuse to watch this one...

Now here's the thing. If' I've watched the movie and then I find out it's a book, I can't go back and read the book. It's ruined for me. It makes it kind of funny when I refuse to watch movies knowing it's a book I've not read yet. This brings me to Case #4.

Case #4:
Jared, for my benefit, added the Jane Austen Book Club movie to our Netflix queue. I saw it inching up more and more so I went to the library and got the book. I read the book and thoroughly enjoyed it. When the movie came, Jared fell asleep after a half hour and I was disappointed after five minutes. The order of the movie was messed up. The characters were off. I disliked it very much.

While we're talking about Jane Austen, I have not watched any of her books to movies or will not until I read the books. It's been fun actually to read it and then watch the movie. Last night I watched Persuasion since I just finished the book. I have to admit I liked the movie a lot. In fact, I was not very impressed with the book/story itself but the movie was quite good. I also loved Emma the movie.

Case #5:
Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. Great book, horrible movie. There is no need to elaborate.

However there is always an exception to the rule. In the last few years, a couple books turned movies were actually good. The Kite Runner was an amazing book and I was very impressed with the movie. They did not mess it up and did it very well. Also The Secret Life of Bees was a great book and they did a pretty good job with the movie.

My latest endeavor is The Time Traveler's Wife. I'm really loved the book as unique as it was. But I'm very worried about the movie. I'm actually afraid to see it. I probably will just because the actors they chose are perfect for the roles I think.




But I probably won't see My Sister's Keeper. I don't think I can see this movie as I know it won't compare at all.

1 comment:

Carolyn May said...

I saw Time Traveler's Wife and it was different from the book but a very very good movie. You should see it! I think I agree with you about My Sister's Keeper, though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...