Thursday, July 16, 2009

What's in a Title?

I am a firm believer that a man who has something flashy, loud, or big is only making up for something that he is lacking. I'm going to be totally stereotypical right now and just say it. I know that when a man has the loudest motorcycle, the biggest pickup or biceps, or wears a big diamond in both his ears - bigger than his woman's diamond ring for that matter, he is just making up for his itsy, bitsy...

I'm starting to think there is a new trend with men who are lacking below the waste line. It's called the latest generation of work titles. I have been privy to looking at hundreds of business cards these last few days and I must say I am flabbergasted. Again, I will be a sexist and say it's only the men because the women have their shit together. The following are titles I've come across and they are over the top, egotistical to say the least!

- President, CEO & Managing Director (come again?)
- Senior Vice President, Chief Information Architect (couldn't just pick one?)
- Group Vice President (huh?)
- Learning Business Development Manager (wait, don't you need to know your job before you start, not learn it as you go?)
- Distinguished Engineer (...)
- SVP and CTO (again, pick one?)

I have also come across some business cards that don't have a title. It shows me that they are hard workers and don't need a title for their job. They are not in a race to top of the corporate ladder to have 16 abbreviations after their name.

Why are people so obsessed with titles at work? I have a title but I don't use it really. I come in, do my job and that's about it. Plus my job title doesn't even describe all the different things I do anymore so it's pointless. I think men on a power trip need to calm down about the wording they are using to showcase to the world who they are. At the end of the day it's just a job and should not define you as a person. No words, abbreviations, or title should ever define you as a person. Maybe if people focused less on what they are called and more on what they need to do they would get more work done, would prosper, and would improve their quality of life.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...