Sunday, April 13, 2008

Abbiemiester

Abbie, my God daughter, daughter of my cousin/big sister fill-in and whom I call my niece has been fighting Leukemia since November. I think I may have written about her earlier. Anywho, Abbie has been doing pretty well despite and is on her last leg of treatment. At the moment, Abs is at Boston Childrens where for the past week has had many radiation treatments to kill her immunity system and now is on to chemo to get her ready for her bone marrow transplant that will be taking place on Tuesday. The new donor is cord marrow from a new born baby that was donated and was a match for Abbie. This marrow will be an IV drip into Abbie and after three very hard weeks, we'll know if her body accepted the marrow and Abbie is official in remission.

Abbie and her family are going to be in Boston until May or June to make sure Abbie is good to go before she leaves. It's been a strain on their family doing all this running around and being in the hospital but every one is optimistic that Abs will be okay.

Here is Abbiemiester in the hospital with her attitude! :)

I went to visit the family yesterday in Boston and to be honest, Abbie didn't even seem sick. She was like a normal little kid who wanted to go out and play but couldn't because of all the wires attached to her. But she had a big smile on her face and had the audacity to yell at the nurses for getting in the way of the TV while she was watching the Wiggles and just chilling out with the girls. "Away!" she yelled at them! It was kind of funny and I felt bad for the nurses but hey, Abbie is the one getting poked and prodded, not any one else. She was so cute and really making the best of the situation. She is not even two yet and has been through so much. But you wouldn't know it! She's been really brave and she's smiling and laughing which is so important. As I was leaving, I asked her for a hug and she obliged and knocked her noggin right into my chest for a big one. Then I told her to be brave and to be good and she said okay. And I told her I'd be there to visit again next week and she said, okay. Then she blew me a kiss. It was really cute.

My cousin and her husband are holding up like champs. Considering their entire world has been turned upside down, they can not work and they have a four year old son who just wants to go and play and have a normal life. It's not easy but they are doing the best they can.

Today Abbie was not feeling so good and the symptons are starting to bother her a bit so we're hoping they don't get any worse and she can have a good day today. You can ready all about Abbie and keep up with her progress here. Kristi is pretty good at keeping it updated: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/abbiebrouker

Say an extra prayer for Abbie and her family today, it would be most appreciated!

Gear still for sale!! http://www.zazzle.com/4abbie


Mommy and Abbie before going to Boston.


Nanna and Abbie


Abbie showing her port in her belly.

1 comment:

Maureen Girard said...

Many, many, many, many, many THOUGHTS & PRAYERS!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...