Sunday, May 13, 2007

W.A.W.! (What A Weekend!)

What a weekend! It was truly amazing and I’ve been dying to write about it and I now finally have a minute!

It began with Friday night at Foxwoods. We saw Five for Fighting and Chantal Kreviazuk. Jared and I LOVE Five for Fighting (John Ondrasik and have been dying to seem him for a while. Jared actually interviewed him a few years ago on his radio show and he was such a cool guy. I also love Chantal. You won’t know her name probably but if you heard her songs you’d know them. Her music is so amazing as is her talent. There is something about her songs that just move me. I really can’t describe it. Music is such an important part of my life and when I’m listening to Chantal’s songs, I have to blast them because I feel like they are the theme songs for my life.

In any event, Jared called John’s manager and hooked us up with awesome seats (5th row). We also got backstage passes to meet John before the show started. He was such a nice guy. Jared really loves his music, especially the lyrics. They really have meaning unlike a lot of artists that are out there now. Jared meets a lot of artists but to see Jared talking with John, he was so excited. It was so cool to see how excited Jared was to talk to John and tell him what he thought of his music. I don’t get to see Jared like that often so when I realized how much it meant to him, I finally got it. I could compare Jared meeting and chatting with John Ondrasik to a kid hitting his first home run in Little League. His only comment was – that was awesome. And I couldn’t wipe the grin off his face.

Jared, John Ondrasik and the shorty..


The show was amazing. Both artists play piano and have such talented vocals. At one point we were moved to tears by one of the stories John told about why he wrote a song and then played it. I’ve been to many concerts and this was one of the bests. If you’ve not heard Five for Fighting (other than the radio stuff – 100 years, Superman, etc) pick up his CDs and enjoy it. It’s awesome stuff. Same goes for Chantal. I even got her to sign my CD. Thanks to Jared for the great night!

Yesterday was just errands (shopping with Jill, fun!) and cleaning the house. I even did some dirt digging and weed picking. It’s amazing how many bugs you find. Whenever I came across a worm or a spider I just buried it and moved on.

Last night was a hoot! Can you spell c-o-u-n-t-r-y? My dear friend Betts’ birthday is today actually (HAPPY BIRTHDAY BETTY!) so we celebrated with a night out at the Ranch. The Cadillac Ranch. This fine establishment is a legend in my hometown. I’ve known about it my entire life, driven by it millions of times and heard people talk about the fun times had there many a times. However I’ve never been able to call myself a honky-tonk girl (nor will I ever for that matter) so I’ve never gone there. Fortunately for me, Betts wanted to have her birthday celebration there last night. So I put on my non-cowgirl outfit and saddled up for a night of torture since A. I HATE country music and B. Country music is stupid as are people that listen to it…(yeah that is harsh but there is so much better stuff for your ears to hear so why hurt them?).

So without further ado, I figured what the hell! I’ve never been, maybe it won’t be too bad. I go to the bar (after begging Jared to change his shirt since he was wearing a plaid shirt and I was afraid he was going to fit in too much but of course I lost that argument). I walk in the joint and low and behold, there is country music blaring. I find my friends and am grinning ear to ear. They know I don’t belong here and I’m trying very hard to have fun. It’s Betty’s birthday, I need to suck it up!

Betts decides I need to see the dance floor. Stay to the edge, I’m told. I didn’t believe it until I saw it. There, in front of me, was a shitload of people line dancing in a big marked off red square that you didn’t dare go inside unless you knew every freaking move of that dance!

I watched in awe as the people step kicked, spun around, tapped there, tapped here and swung there partners round and round (oh wait that square dancing, right?). Jessie’s first thought as she watched all these people dancing in the same rhythm to a country song – you’ve got to be kidding me! People actually do this in real life and it’s not just in the movies!?

I was mesmerized as I watched them go back and forth. Then as the minutes went by, more and more people arrive. It was amazing to see so many people line up and dance. The song would be over and the guy would call out the next one and away they’d go again. It was incredible. Mad props to all those country-folks for knowing all those dances!

We immediately decided it wasn’t our thing but it was fun to hang out there with our friends. We spent the night making of people, making fun of ourselves and knowing full well that we could never do that. After an hour, I was wondering when the BNL songs would be playing but I was disappointed. Betty was having a blast the country-bumpkin that she is. I know I make fun of her for liking C music (can’t even say the word since I don’t consider it music) but she has a right to her own opinion. She even went out there for a few dances.

We couldn’t stay too long since we had a very long drive and had been working all day. I didn’t want Jared to fall asleep in the bar so I took him home after a few hours. As soon as we got in the car, he decides it would be funny to put the country station on. I didn’t think that was funny at all…

Today, Mother’s day. Happy Mother’s day! We got up at the butt crack of dawn to go to Lowes. Now first of all have I mentioned before that all home improvement stores are the devil. I am so sick of them all. But when you get up at 7am on a Sunday morning are dragged to Lowes because they open at 7AM; that is just sick! We did some errands and then Jared started cooking. We had the fam and the grandparents over for dinner today. Jared made a roast dinner which was fantastic! I love all his cooking but the roast dinner is amazing. Never thought I’d eat food with gravy over everything but Jared has won me over.

We had a nice relaxing day and the weather was gorgeous. We spent some nice time sitting on the deck in the sun. Then the most amazing thing happened! Jared mowed the lawn and I got to see him in action on the rider mower. How funny! I even got my chance to try it out (I got to ride it 10 feet over to get gas…not even mowing!) It was pretty cool though.

Look mommy! I get to ride a big mower!!


All in all it was a great weekend and I’m looking forward, no wait, not at all looking forward to a very busy week and trip to Purdue Uni for my event.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...